Australian families will have access to a whole range of new health services – including a $150 voucher for teen dental care, a free health check for kids about to start school and a guide to kids’ health and development for parents under a new initiative announced by the Federal Government.
New health services include:
- $150 for preventative dental checks for teenagers under Medicare;
- Free Healthy Kids Check for kids about to start school;
- Get Set 4 Life guide – to help kids develop healthy habits for life;
- New Medicare items to help people at high risk of diabetes;
- New medicines on the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) for people with chronic kidney disease; and
- New medicines on the PBS for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
These new initiatives are designed to keep people well and out of hospital. With over half a million Australians ending up in hospital every year for conditions that could have been prevented – 50,000 of them for avoidable dental conditions – more needs to be done on prevention.
These new initiatives aim to keep our kids well, and allow for early intervention where it is needed.